View Single Post
Old 01-30-2012, 02:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
newuser2

Girlfriend of Relapsed Addict

My boyfriend and I have been dating for quite some time now and have even talked about getting married and starting a life together. When we first started getting serious he opened up to me and told me all about his drug use and abuse. He was addicted to pain killers and even spent some time doing heroin. He joined the army and got clean and was completely clean when we first started dating.

A couple days ago he told me that he relapsed and did pain killers again and promised that he would never do drugs again and asked me if I would start to go to NA meetings with him. I really want to support him, but today I checked my bank statement and found that when he relapsed, he paid for his pills by stealing a check from my checkbook and forging a check to himself for $40.00.

I am completely heartbroken and torn and I just do not know what to do. I know that my boyfriend was not the one stealing from me, it was his addiction stealing from me, but I know I can't just justify it like that because it is totally not okay. This guy has my whole heart and his well-being is my top priority. I just no longer know how I can help and my trust has been completely shattered. I thought he was doing so good being sober and now we are right back to rock bottom.

I'm not a wife or family memeber and it is my choice to be in this relationship and I think that's why it is so hard. There is nothing tying me down, yet I can't seem to leave. I care about him more than anything but I just have no one to talk too since no one I know has dated an addict. If anyone has any advice I would appreciate it more than anything