View Single Post
Old 01-23-2012, 05:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
pinkheart39

Exclamation Trying to get off Valium and opiates

I've had a tough time being only 22, I grew up in a house where addiction and violence were rampant and recently got put of an abusive 2 year relationship and am now trying to put my life back together. I have been prescribed benzos 5 months now and am currently tapering off Valium, I am now seeing a therapist/psychiatrist who did some tests and saw the Valium was doing more harm than good and told me I should try and get off it; he gave me some clonidine and I'm planning on getting off of it by the end of Feb. The thing is though, I have been on and off opiates for 2 years. I'm not sure why I get back on it, I go through terrible withdraws and then end up back on it. I'm trying to work while getting off these things and so here comes my actual question: do I try to get off these drugs separately or at the same time? Currently I am trying to taper down the opiates until I'm off the Valium and then I was planning on getting off the opiates, but I'm not sure if it would be better to do it all at once or if that'd be too hard on my body. Any advice or experiences would really help me. I'm looking into going to NA meetings but I'd also like advice on that because my psychiatrist recommends it but warned me that there is at least 1 predator in every NA class and a young attractive female might have some trouble.