View Single Post
Old 11-21-2011, 03:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
ReadyAndAble

Well, I'm a big fan of creating distance between myself and my alcoholic voice.

For example, you said you're talking yourself out of it. I'd say that you are not torn on the subject at all. You know what drinking means, how it affects your life and your moods, and you know darn well that you are better off without it. Happier without it. And you know that will never change. You will always be better off without booze, forever and ever, amen.

That other voice—the one that tries to convince you a drink would make you happy, despite the fact you know it will more likely ruin your night, possibly your whole life—is not you. That's your addiction talking.

As for New Year's, it's just a day. If you could just drink once in a while, you wouldn't be here, right? And by the way, did you need booze to celebrate holidays when you were a kid? Of course not. You don't need it now, either. Besides, New Year's should have a very special meaning for you this year, precisely because you are not drinking.And which do you think is more important to your family and friends—that you have a drink with them, or that you live a long and happy life?

All this confusion is coming from the addict voice. It wants you think the choices are hard, when in fact they're incredibly simple. It will get easier. The voice will lose strength.

You're doing great. I would agree with the others about the risk of being around drinks early in recovery, though. It won't be a big deal later. Everyone will get used to you sipping on iced tea or hot cocoa. Including you.