View Single Post
Old 11-21-2011, 01:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Nirvana1

When I first got sober the thought of missing a night out, a hot date, or a big UFC fight scared me. I had no clue what I was supposed to do instead of hitting the town every weekend (my weekends were now Thur-Sun). I had to start thinking in terms of risk/reward and what sobriety meant to me. I had to acknowledge that to going out with drinking friends was risky towards my sobriety, and that the reward for "having fun" was not that much. I did struggle with being bored and lonely, but knew that I needed to make changes in my life if I wanted to end up ok.

Making sober friends and being able to talk/hangout without the drinking pressure was the best thing I did. AA is one of the best places to meet these people but I'm sure there are other ways to meet sober friends too nowadays. I would suggest making an effort to meeting atleast a couple sober people you can talk/text with. It has been a blessing that I can text probably 25 people right now if I have a question or am in a jam.

Doing the same things and being around the same people was not helping because it didn't take much peer pressure from drinkers to get me back off the wagon.