Thread: Rehab Romance?
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2011, 06:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
hello-kitty

Hi. Welcome. So glad you found this site. Congrats on getting and STAYING off drugs. It's not easy. But it's worth it. I hope you stay clean forever.

Your "boyfriend" (I use "" because he's not treating you very well right now) is going to do what he is going to do. I know that hurts but it may be that he's just not as mature emotionally as you. He may not be as committed to recovery as you. And even though he SAYS he is, he may not be as committed to the relationship as you. And that sucks. But that's the way things are sometimes.

Pay attention to his actions not his words. And really be focused on your self-care right now. It's so important to focus on YOURSELF and your own personal growth and development. You can't change him. But you are certainly in charge of your life and your choices. Be good to you!

Addicts usually have strong codependent characteristics as well. Meaning we become way too involved in someone elses choices and trying to change them. There is a great book called Co-dependent No More which may be really enlightening to you. I encourage you to get a copy of it and read it. It could save you a lot of future heart ache.

In the meantime, I hope you can take the focus off his recovery and keep it on your own. And by recovery I mean building an INCREDIBLY WONDERFUL life for yourself that doesn't involve drugs or cheating, flakey guys. You can be anything or anyone you want to be. Don't let an addict boyfriend take that away from you.