View Single Post
Old 07-27-2011, 12:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
DayTrader
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by tommy79 View Post
My sponsor advises me that this is all part of my unmanageable emotional nature and to just throw myself harder into the program.

I feel like I have no perspective on the situation and it's somehow linked with my sobriety, but at the moment I'm consumed with this problem (which FEELS unrelated to alcoholism) and it's distracting me from recovery.

Anyone else had experiences like this in early recovery? How did you get over them? One theory I have is that I'm not really so emotionally tangled in this as it seems, this is just a PAWS sort of thing.
Smart sponsor! I have to agree with him. When I can get REEEEALLY grounded spiritually...when I REEEEALLY put my trust in God...... then life gets a whole lot easier.

When I'm tight with God and I know in my heart that He's taking care of me...if this girl, that promotion, this house, that appointment, etc don't work out......it's no big deal......cuz God's handling all of it and the only reason x, y or z didn't happen is because there's obviously something better in store for me.

One of the things the steps will "teach" you as you go through them is to LET GO of your life a little, to cut it out with the expectations based upon you believing you know what will make you happy, and gaining a lot of trust in a HP you get to create to handle alllllllll that stuff for you. When I'm really plugged into that......honestly......it's impossible to get me mad, upset, sad, disappointed, or anything......it's like, "whatever, there IS something coming that'll be better anyway."

In my case, I didn't listen to the ppl who gave advice like I just did or like your sponsor did........ and lemme tell ya......that emotional turmoil darn near took me back out to booze....and it started to get me thinkin about killing myself again....... My complete inability to deal with that sort of stuff was what fiiiiiiiiiiinally motivated me to get serious about the program.

Hitting bottom with booze hurt but hitting bottom emotionally and spiritually......while dry in AA......that reeeeeeally sucked.