View Single Post
Old 07-14-2011, 02:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
oxyious

Originally Posted by cmmil146 View Post
Well here goes
I've been taking 20-40mg of oxycodone/oxycontin a day for about a year now this will be my first attempt to quit for good. A few months ago I had to leave the country and couldnt take anything for about a 2 week period and that first week was hell so I pretty much know what I'm in for. but me being dumb and not realizing how this was affecting my life then thought it would be ok to just start taking it again as soon as I got back. Big mistake. otherwise Any advice or support you guys on here can give me would be great It's been about a day now since I've had anything and It's not so bad right now I know tomorrows gonna be hell tho so wish me luck I don't want anything more than to rid my self of this horrible addiction
Hello, Welcome. We were on the same Medication. I am not a Doctor but I was taking 4 times what you are for 6 times longer and my Detox wasn't much worse than the flu (other than one day that was pretty bad because I was vomiting) otherwise the accute part of withdrawal lasted 5 days, the chronic part 7 days and the "wacked sleeping" and "lack of energy" persists for several months. (In m experience).

What you MIGHT experience: Night Sweats, Hot/Cold Flashes, Watery Eyes, Restlessness, Insomnia, Lack of Energy, Muscle Pain, Poor Appetite, Dry Mouth, BAD taste in my mouth, (Sensitivity to Smells/Tastes) and unless you are have robot, you WILL get Diarreah (Due to the low dose, I think you might dodge the vomiting and muscle pain all together or it will be mild if you do experience it.

Things that SHOULD HELP (that helped me): Gaterade/Vitamin Water (AVOID caffeine beverages-you'll already have enough trouble sleeping, Immodium for the Diarreah, Aspirin for the Pain, If you are working with a Physician- he may give you something for Anxiety, Vitamins (specifically C & B), tempid baths and you may not be able to sleep--you should still rest. If you get that bad taste in your mouth that no amount of brushing will make go away---keep your favorite hard candy around to suck on.

Don't get me wrong-- It isn't "pleasant" (the detox) but I read some HORROR stories about detox and they scared me off of detoxing for the longest time. I'm being brutally honest with you. I can't see yours being as rough as mine and in retrospect mine was just very uncomfortable, not brutal. (Maybe mentally brutal, but not physically other than day three)

Last but not least, you should work with a Doctor because if you were on opiates for a reason, (legit pain) - it will still be there when you stop if it's a chronic problem so you'll need a safeguard in place. I have nerve damage to my shoulder and back so I was also given muscle relaxants and a NON narcotic pain reliever. SO, definately see a Doctor if that is the case (it's always safer to see one regardless if you are detoxing). Toxing from opiates isn't dangerous like booze or benzos, but better to be monitored.

I'll say a prayer for ya~