View Single Post
Old 06-26-2011, 06:01 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
EricL

I'd be cautious of taking medical opinions from lay people... I like a lot of what Bill Wilson wrote, but sometimes his ego got in the way, he failed to realize his own limitations.

I believe it is disease, that is what I was taught in treatment, in AA, and then had it solidified in medical school. At least within the medical community, while there is still disagreement over this issue, the vast majority have accepted the evidence. In fact in the last decade there has been the development of fellowship training programs for physicians to become board certified in addiction medicine. As with other fellowships, it is two years of training to subspecialize once one has completed residency training in a primary specialty. Additionally, most programs require upwards of a year of dedicated research time. I know at the institution I am at there is both basic science, looking at the molecular biology of chemicals and addiction, as well as population level, and psychological research being conducted with NIH grants.

So, yes, from a medical standpoint, it most certainly has been come to be accepted as a disease. Mainly due to the presence of known neurologic pathways that become upregulated, and the fairly predictable course of the disease if not intervened upon. Also, much like depression, or bipolar, or other mental health diseases, the disease is multifactorial, cannot be entirely explained (at present time) by biology but one must take into account environment, genetics, personality, etc.

I think as more scientific progress is made in this field, there will be less and less debate about it.

For me... my personal feeling on the debate as it relates to myself and my disease is, "Who cares?" Other's acknowledgment of alcoholism as a disease will not, and has not, determined or changed what I do to successfully treat it.