Old 06-23-2011, 07:45 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Supercrew

Originally Posted by nandm View Post
What sort of employer will tolerate someone who does not show up for work several months out of the year because they are in a deep depression where just getting out of bed is a chore? The jobs you talk about take schooling. So how is one to get that education if one can not afford the classes because they have no income and/or can not make it to the classes or complete the assignments due to the mental health issues? A telephone job is out of question for those suffering from social anxiety. I do not even answer the phone more than 75% of the time even when I know who is calling. That is not laziness that is social anxiety. So a telephone job is out of the question. Memory lapses and difficulty concentrating pretty much rule out any other jobs as deadlines will be missed and assignments not completed. I can continue to give you other examples but I doubt it will change your mind as you like many others can not understand something that you can not feel or see. Until you walk in someone else's shoes it is easy to sit back and give advice and state how things should be if one 'Just pulls up their boot straps" and moves forward.

If I was not trying to move forward I would just kill myself now and be done with it. So please don't preach about recovery being moving forward and not about looking at limitations only possibilities because honestly you have no clue what it is like to walk in someone's shoes who suffers from mental illness. I pray that you never find out what it is like as I would not wish this on anyone. What is the saying? Before judging someone walk a mile in their shoes....maybe it would be a good idea if you remember that and practice compassion rather than judgment