View Single Post
Old 06-13-2011, 01:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
defyinggravity

My very first meeting (in New Orleans, not my first ever) was an open discussion GLBT meeting - I found it very open and supportive. It was one of my favorite meetings but unfortunately I don't go much anymore since it's waaayyy across town. But since you brought it up, I just might go back...so thanks for reminding me!

My experience at the meeting was great, actually. We went around the circle and identified ("Hi, I'm Elizabeth, I'm an alcoholic") and that was all I said for the entire meeting (my suggestion if you're nervous about what to say, or whether people will identify or not, make sure you sit between some people so no matter what, you won't be going first) - they didn't identify at all of the meetings I've been to, but most of them have. I just listened to what others had to say and took it all in. They did say the serenity prayer at the end but you don't have to say it if you don't want. After the meeting was over, I kind of stood around awkwardly for a second and then a few people came up, introduced themselves...gave me a meeting list, phone numbers of group members, etc. They told me they hoped I'd come back next week (and I did) and that was that! I went home happier and full of hope and courage that I COULD get sober!