View Single Post
Old 06-08-2011, 09:50 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Pigtails

I don't know. I have a sleep disorder caused by anxiety, and just anxiety in general, and several therapists have told me that medication is an option but I wanted to try working through it on my own and with therapy first. Well part of that led to me realizing I have a drinking problem and need to stop. So now I am worried about dealing with the anxiety without alcohol (and cocaine) which was like my self-medication.

Here is what I'm doing but I'm no expert, just trying to figure it out. I have gone cold turkey sober (this is my Day 4) and am going ot work at working things out in myself without meds for at least a month. I have to take things one piece at a time due to my anxiety and overwhelming thoughts. So I just say, I'm not going to drink today, and I'm going to do that for at least a month, and see where I am at the end of the month. I can always go on meds if I need to. But right now I don't feel I need to (although honestly I have no idea what "need to" looks like... I have often wondered if I would feel "happy" on meds and have felt crappy on my own... but since stopping drinking I have felt a big mental improvement and I really hope it continues!)

I guess what I'm saying is that if you haven't been prescribed/recommended to take meds then first try to stop drinking because that could be causing or contributing to a lot of the anxiety issues in the first place. I too drank for social anxiety issues but it was a cyclical problem... the only time I wasn't anxious was when I drank, before I got drunk, then I would do stupid things to cause me more anxiety the next day! So I am just stopping the cycle and allowing myself to feel things naturally and it feels good. :-) Sometimes weird and scary but good. If I'm anxious, I just say, okay, I'm feeling anxious, and try to do something productive, like go for a run or clean. If I'm sad or lonely, same thing. And if I'm happy.... I feel really genuinely happy, not fake-happy like when I'm drunk. It's like the feelings are magnified, good and bad, and that's scary but for me I think that in the end it will help with my anxiety because I will be getting to know the real me and accepting her for who she is. :-) I hope I've helped some. Good luck.