View Single Post
Old 06-01-2011, 05:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
susanlauren

Dune,
One of my resentments involving principles was a resentment against mainstream AA for all of the non-program slogans and sayings. For example, 90 meetings in 90 days, meeting makers make it, don't drink and go to meetings, put the plug in the jug, I choose not to drink today ODAAT, etc. I put all of it into a single resentment. This is how it looked:

Resentment: AA slogans and sayings in mainstream AA

Nature of Resentment: created confusion about what the program of AA actually is and meant that finding the path of recovery was that much more difficult for me and for others

Affects my: ambitions, personal relations and fear

Resentment turn-around:

Selfish -- I wanted a clear, concise, understandable presentation as to what AA is and is not. I did not want the confusing and incongruent messages that I had heard repeatedly in AA meetings.

Dishonest -- Even if I had stumbled into a Back to Basics meeting or a 1940’s Big Book Study meeting, I would not have heard or accepted the message until I was ready. I needed certain experiences in my life (i.e., trying a controlled drinking experiment, trying abstinence based on self-knowledge and willpower) to bring me to the place where I am currently. I think I know how best the world, including AA, should run. If the world would just do things my way, then life would be great.

Self-Seeking (Inconsiderate) -- I withdrew and stopped attending AA meetings. I don’t need to go to meetings to not drink (i.e., don’t drink and go to meetings). I can just not drink, or so I thought.

Afraid -- Fear of rejection. Fear of inadequacy. Fear of the future.