View Single Post
Old 05-26-2011, 04:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
nandm
Life the gift of recovery!

I am a recovering alcoholic who also suffers from PTSD, bipolar, and chronic anxiety. Until I was sober over 5 years I did not take any narcotics for my mental health issues as they were only being addressed as hard to treat depression. I can not say that it was easy to stop drinking and go through the anxiety that comes with stopping drinking but also suffering from undiagnosed and untreated mental health issues but what I can say is that because I was not treated with a substitute for my drinking such as xanax or klonopin I was forced to jump head first into AA and learn to apply the Steps to my life daily. Is AA a cure for anxiety, not necessarily but it is a great help. Many people experience anxiety when they quit drinking but that anxiety eases the longer they are sober. When it does not ease that is the time to consider seeking mental health providers.

Today I am sober for over 10 years. I do take klonopin for my chronic mental health issues. I do take it only as prescribed and make sure that my motives for taking it are not to substitute how alcohol made me feel but to deal with a real uncontrolled anxiety issue. I do not take it daily and many times go several days without taking it. I am very careful with it as I know that it could be a problem if I am not careful to check my motives each time I take it. I firmly believe that as long as I am taking it as prescribed and intended I am still sober and clean. If the day comes that I take it for any other reason then I will consider changing my sobriety date.

I do not believe that substituting it for alcohol is a wise choice as ultimately what you are doing is covering up the problem and trading addictions rather then treating the disease. I would recommend that you speak honestly with your doctor and consider a recovery program such as AA. There is a list of them under the alcoholism forum that you might find useful.

I hope this helps answer your question, remember it is only my experience and may not apply to you.