Old 05-25-2011, 07:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Zencat
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

I associate with many people on both sides of the HP issue. Those in AA that are believers and others in AA and outside AA that are non-believers. All of these people have experienced all the symptoms of alcoholism "real" or otherwise. All of these people recovered from the illness of alcoholism that would have left them maimed or dead if went untreated.

I have concluded that one can recover with or with out a HP. I personally prefer recovery without a HP. Its just simpler for me to focus on applying a treatment plan without the seemly complex issue of HP's. An issue that stirs up intense confusing emotions in me.

I think the universal rule of: if it helps continue to do it, if it hurts stop it. Can be applied to life, HP's and addiction treatment. In addiction treatment I needed to find the most effective way for me to recover. When I was doing things in treatment that hindered my progress, I changed directions. This process helps me focus on the things that do work and eliminate the things that don't. Having a HP in my life was simply one of those things that didn't help.

So if it helps you Instant, carry on . There is no single correct way to recover from the devastating illness of alcoholism, in all of its unique manifestations. It is a matter of to each their own or to thy own self be true.