Old 05-25-2011, 06:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
endlesspatience

Thanks for posting and well done on ten days sober. I think this whole question of the Higher Power is the one that generates the most debate on this forum and among AA members. It is, as you know, a concept which appears absolutely central in the AA Steps and the Big Book. There are those who reject this concept and you will find their discussion in the Secular Connections part of this forum.

Speaking personally, I have come to develop a very different conception of God to one I held previously. All I can say is that by attending AA meetings regularly (I'm going every day and have just come back from an uplifting lunchtime meeting) and hearing what other members say about it, I have put aside many of misgivings. When people explain how their Higher Power influences their lives and decisions, it makes much more sense than a complex, acadamic debate on the existance of God.

Not to say that's not a debate worth having. But if it's going to slow down my process of recovery, I am happy to leave it to other people for now. Perhaps when I've been sober for a loooooong time, I might want to join in that debate again. But for now, let's just say that handing my will and life over to the power of God as I understand Him sounds like a much more positive step than remaining in the misery of active alcoholism.