Old 04-26-2011, 12:50 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
rfmcg66

Can TOTALLY relate

Today is day 1 for me as well (4-26-11). I've stopped cold turkey dozens of time because I've been back and forth, trying to get sober since 95. I am in so much despair right now because I cant believe I'm at the starting gate once again. It will take me 3 or 4 days to get the booze out of my system and at least as many sleepless nights. I tend to be wired when detoxing, and although exhausted, cannot sleep. I also have that cold clammy feeling and alternate between being chilled or too warm. I cant seem to strike a balance. Also, it can be hard to eat. I drink protein shakes to get calories in me and also sip on beef broth thruout the day. For me, I crave salty foods like nuts and popcorn, not sweets when de-toxing. Another thing that helps me is to drink lots of water and juice, especially when im craving. Right now, im so sick of myself and my trashed life that i tell myself that Im willing to to whatever it takes to start getting well but I know that as evening approaches the temptation to drink will come upon me. As bad as I feel right now, I know that a few drinks will get me feeling "normal" but Ill keep going till I blackout and then passout again. What has also helped me in the past is to go to many AA mtgs per day starting day 1. Im so tired of walking into AA mtgs and saying Im on day 1 but for me the only other option is to go on drinking till I kill someone and end up in prison or die. Not great alternatives.