Old 03-30-2011, 10:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
laurie6781
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

I personally went through one almost 30 years ago now, and it is still running strong in the same location.

It was an excellent experience for those that wanted recovery (I did). We had rules and regulations, chores to do, meetings to attend in the house and 5 meetings a week to attend outside the house. We had two weeks and then had better find a job, even if it was 'flipping' burgers.

As each of us stayed sober, interacted with each other and the outside world, went to meetings as requried, we slowly earned more privileges, as possibly a weekend day to go home, and then eventually an actual overnight visit at home, later even curfews so we could go for coffee with others from our meetings, etc

I have had many a sponsee go through a Sober Living House over the years and every one has done better in their recovery and adapting to living sober than those who have not.

Yes, I have had some relapse, those that started hanging with others in the house that were not serious about their recovery. It is still the A's choice whether they get sober and stay sober or not.

J M H O

Love and hugs,