View Single Post
Old 03-29-2011, 05:58 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Pete55

Alcoholic thinking living with a spouse who is not alcoholic, can be contageous to the non-alcoholic.
Because when the alkie eventually arrives home, the spouse knows what is going to happen next, more alcohol for the next spree.

Ok, when the alkie finds recovery, by that time the non-alkie is at breaking point to. The both may require help. Al A Non.
In my first month of recovery, I went to a few Al a non meetings. I then understood the "other side", it was too late form me to salvage anything, but I did see what damage I caused.
I do not know what they do in al a non, but have heard some speakers and I was impressed from what they understand about the real alkie, recovered or not. many of them have said to me, it takes some effort, as long as the spouse does not go back out there, it can work.

I have to disagree on the analogy of,
for the record Bill Wilson's "psychic change" was drug induced, his big spiritual awakening was brought on by the drug belladonna
I have never had treatment for alcohol, denied and denied the "system", all along. The only "treatment" I know of, overnight lockups, humiliation and a few nose bleeds. Had enough.

Yet my psychic change came in leaps and bounds, it meant that the "rules of the game have changed".....if you read the entire paragraph of what Dr Silkworth says, at the end of that paragraph the last word is "rules"...,
It's a shift. Or, "what a wonderful idea"! arising from pain.