View Single Post
Old 02-09-2011, 11:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Zube

Great question Tammy...

I was scared sh*tless when I walked through the doors of my first AA meeting. Scared, ashamed, embarassed, stressed out, detoxing. The meeting began at 7PM and I sat out in my car until 6:59. When I walked through the door, eyes down, fortunately the seat closest to the door was not taken, if I had to walk across the room I would have turned around and left. So I sat my butt down.

Usually the meeting chair will ask if anybody is there for their first AA meeting. If you say yes, the topic of the meeting will cover the basics, people will offer support and encouragement, some will tell their story, usually a piece of paper will be passed around the room and others at the meeting will put their numbers on it...this is a call list, people who really do want you to call if you feel like drinking, have questions, etc. At the end of the hour, you will be given a chance to speak, only if you want.

If this seems frightening, you don't have to say you are their for your first meeting, and the topic will be directed elsewhere. You don't have to say anything if you don't want to. Some meetings will be open to whoever wants to speak, some will go in order around the room. Again, you don't have to speak if you don't want to. Simply say "I'll pass". If you do want to speak, do.

The important thing is to go, and go again, and go again. I can't remember much of my first 3 or 4 days of meetings because I was physically detoxing at the time, but I know I went, and it kept my mind off drinking. AA got me through the obsession of wanting to drink, and the compulsion of taking that drink. I'm still new in the program, just got a sponsor, and began working the 12 steps. After 24 years of drinking, I've been sober for 81 days. There is no way that I could have done it on my own. AA is a HUGE support. And the only requirement is simply a desire to stop drinking.

Good luck to you!
Zube