View Single Post
Old 01-20-2011, 12:44 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
flman84

Wow, it's great I fell upon this site today. I'm an atheist and having quite a bit of trouble in my recovery. I have a great sponsor and he constantly tells me I can have the program fit my beliefs no matter what they are, but it does get tiring "translating" what everyone says in meetings to fit "my beliefs". I have my support group as my HP. I figured if I was alone with just me and my drug of choice I would be weak. But with my support system with me I'd be strong. Thus they are a greater power than myself. The problem I have is I come from a completely scientific/medical background. So when people talk about the miracles in their lives I usually can easily explain them to myself. Even the ability to stay clean isn't the miracle to me that it is to others. For me it's simply a region of by brain (the reasoning area) over taking the effected area (the reward area). I've been clean for over 7 months and I'm not sure I'm going to continue in NA. I think its a wonderful program but I'm not sure it's right for me. I don't believe in a "spirit" so I don't know if I belong in a spiritual program. I would welcome any help I can get because it is very frustrating.