Old 01-16-2011, 12:41 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Live

yes, that was CarolD who said that about the toothache.

I also am in the local mental health care now and have been for about 2 years. and much to my surprise..in the end it has turned out better than that super expensive pdoc I was seeing (same goes for the psychologist)

there is always an intake interview, almost always with a licensed MSW. They are qualified to make a diagnosis. The first protocol these days for depression is meds. And whether you are at the top of your class or the bottom..there are standardized protocols and often because we all respond to them so very differently, it all winds up a trial and error process finding the right one(s) anyway..no matter who you see.

I also had an intake lady one time do my history with that "and how did that make you feel?"...by the time she was done I felt like getting drunk into oblivion. LOL I later told her that. I don't like those "autopsies" either.
They are not always like that. I am better at stating boundaries now.

Some clinics (most, I think) require that if you see them for meds, you must also participate in some sort of program.. counseling or dx education or etc.
That is one thing you won't have if you see a gp.

I HAVE learned that putting it off doesn't make it better. For me, it gets worse and harder to dig myself out of..and more of my time and life is lost.