Old 01-16-2011, 12:03 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Nikkle

Lushwell: If I understand you correctly, you are questioning whether I have disclosed my mental health issues to my sponsor. I do not have a sponsor yet, though I am actively seeking one and have asked a few people I believe to be solid to prayerfully consider doing so. I am eager to work the steps and cooperate with their guidance. They have agreed to pray about it and told me in the meantime, to call them anytime, which I have. I can only imagine you will quote the "I do not have a sponsor yet" part and assume I am not trying and/or being dishonest and /or shirking responsibility. I have no control over your opinion.

As far as working with others and an AA sponsor's duties:

"Sometimes you will have to call a doctor and administer sedatives under his direction. "

I find this idea to be frighteningly antiquated. There have been many advances in the field of mental health. My sobriety is too important to leave in the hands of an untrained, although well meaning sponsor. It seems like you were implying that I am a mental health drunk, rather than a sober, recovering peer with a mental health issue. That one is only considered a sober AAer if they are without this added challenge or handicap as you put it. I realize that is just my interpretation and I may have taken that the wrong way, so feel free to further explain, so I can truly understand.