View Single Post
Old 12-28-2010, 03:44 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
ProgramChild

This is a great question, and one I have always wondered. At least in the AA Big Book there is a Chapter labeled just for you "For Atheists and Agnostics" and I know there are many things that can be found in the NA literature.

The quote that comes to mind is that sometimes we just begin to talk to what ever is there. Or the air or hope we feel in the room may be our first or only signs of a higher power.
I know a guy that explains step 2 (coming to believe) as 'it doesn't matter what you believe, just believe that we believe, and see that somehow that kept us clean and can therefore keep you clean.'
"There are many powers greater than ourselves. The Judge was a power greater than myself, The Police, sometimes my wife. . .and Helll THE DRUGS! The drugs were the greatest power of all so now I'm going to come to believe in a power that loves me and can save me rather than one that will ultimately kill me"
"We don't care what your beliefs were before you came into these rooms, but it obviously wasn't sufficient enough to keep you clean, let's find something that is."

I know many Atheists who have gotten clean without a belief in God, but I don't think it needs to be labeled what we believe in etc. I know Buddhists, Muslims, Christians, Wiccans, all faiths who have gotten clean, but the religion didn't matter, whether it was god, universe, pure hope didn't matter. I don't know if I'm helping, this is something I've pondered on but I have never had to sponsor an Atheist call that luck, forces at work, what ever.

Keep coming back, I'm sure you'll find your answer.