Old 09-28-2010, 05:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
stephnc

Originally Posted by GlasgowGirl View Post
I really want to quit drinking before I destroy anything that I have left in my life. So, I need other things to focus on, keep me busy, keep my mind occupied (and off the booze lol).

One of the reasons that I drink so much (apart from depression, anxiety etc) is boredom because I have no life. I've lost practically all of my friends, and even though I found it easy to meet new people when I was drunk, I'd later avoid them due to feeling embarassed at being drunk and also because I'm a completely different person when I'm sober.

I know I need to develop some new interests, but I find it difficult through lack of motivation or lack of energy.

Did you find that when you first stopped, your life was empty? And, what did you do about it?

I can totally relate to what you're saying about boredom and having no life - for me that was a major reason why I started drinking heavily a few years ago. It felt impossible to find the energy or motivation to make new friends or develop new interests...at least at first. If you've just recently stopped drinking (and it sounds like you have from your other posts), you'll probably need to give yourself a little time to recover physically before trying to create a fulfilling new life for yourself...but it can be done. Personally, I found a bunch of new friends in AA and here on SR - two sober communities that not only support my not drinking but also are both a source of friendship and support for life in general.

It sounds as if you'd really like to find some new friends and interests to replace the drinking and drinking friends...and that's great! Sometimes there needs to be a noticeable void in your life before something new and wonderful can find space in your life. So be encouraged by that, and take manageable steps towards finding new friends and interests.

If you like to read, you might enjoy reading some of the many great memoirs by people in recovery. One of my favorites is "Dry" by Augusten Burroughs.

And of course, keep coming back here and posting in the threads and the chat room...I can while away hours here, myself! Best to you.

Stephanie