Old 09-26-2010, 12:22 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
SoloMio

This may seem somewhat OT, but my all-women Alma Mater had to close its doors last year because it had refused to give in and go co-ed. I went there just at the crest of the women's movement when all gender-specific colleges were going co-ed. '

The argument my college pushed at the time was that women, when allowed to achieve their potential among peers, and where their leadership is not usurped by men, they benefit by the increased opportunities to learn leadership skills. Now, perhaps we don't need to segregate ourselves to prove our leadership abilities, but I think that, as LaTeeDa said, we accept our roles more subconsciously, even now.

I'm also proud of myself for winding up where I did, from a shriveling codependent wife of a raging alcoholic to someone who found a career at the age of 46, quadrupled her salary in 5 years, and then decided to leave the corporate world and do just what I wanted to do as an independent contractor, making a salary I would not have believed ten years ago. My best clients are the males (and females) who respect my opinion and value my services.

I don't believe you have to get militant about it. I think you have to do your job, with the same personal detachment we learn in dealing with our As. When people respect your work, they usually respect your boundaries. At least that's been my experience.