Thread: 10 days sober
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2010, 07:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Fiona630
Just another day...

Thank you all!

At least with being sober and trying to get a job, people wont run into me and say hey, werent you that drunk girl at so and so's house? Then whisper to each other..dont hire her, she's a drunk, I saw her stumbling around and swearing up a storm. And being small town I so dont need the reputation of being new in town and a drunk. There are a few with the town drunk title already, I dont want to take that away from them! lol

As for a job, I know that will help my sanity, give me something to do. Id really like to find something that is home based tho. It just hard to find something that is real. I have a degree in Health Information Technology. You can work at home with this degree but you have to get hired in first..all full at the inn in this town. I also need to be very involved with my son and his school. He has severe dyslexia and I am tutoring him myself with the Susan Barton system. THe school has to make accomodations and while I can do a lot through emails, there will be meetings and I need to go to them so where ever I end up at will have to understand that my childs education comes first. The first time the school does not stick to the accomodations made on his IEP then I have to make sure I am there to correct it. I am my childs only advocate. Dyslexia is a funny thing. If your child has it you have a battle on your hands with schools. Most do not want to admit it is present. They rather say ur kid is lazy or doesnt pay attention. Nice to know schools will set your dyslexic child up to fail unless you can shell out at least $800 just to get them tested!! none of this is covered by insurance. My husband is is dyslexic himself and dealing with school stuff and reading he just cant do. He can read enough to get him by, but I always fill out everything for him. But the man could build an entire house, wire, plumbing, etc. by looking at pictures, as he did a house of ours back in MI.

As for AA..havent really thought much about it. I know of someone that goes to one. So I know they are here. I just dont know if its what I want yet. I went to meetings and a shrink when I was younger and my dad went from 7 years of sober to drinking again..some al-anon meetings I believe. Then i went to some meetings just for kids. I learned all about how that since my father was an alcoholic that chances are I would up some kind of "aholic" whether it be with work, alcohol, drugs, working out, food, etc..I remember thinking great..im doomed..lol..I wasnt very happy with it, tho I know it was for non alcoholics and Im sure its different for alcoholics, I dont know if Im ready for that..but Im keeping the thought of it there for now. I am seeing what else there is around me to help me. So far I have this group, my mother and a very supportive friend back in MI that I email, call and text all the time, and a supportive husband when he is home and sober. The urge to drink hasnt been bad, the thought of the hangover and how I act when I drink plus the blackouts scare that away fast. Plus I tell myself if my 12 yr old can get thru a day with raging hormones and attitude without drinking, shouldnt I? I think Im going to order a the book Under the Infuence this weekend.. any other suggestions?

With voluntering..I have thought about it. My counselor at school suggested it.I might look into it. It cant hurt esp. if I cant find anything. I will have to start paying on student loans come December. If I dont have a job I will have to go back to school to keep from paying on those loans and Im sooo burned out on school, its the furthest thing from my mind right now.

Thank you guys for being so supportive!