View Single Post
Old 07-19-2010, 06:22 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
DayTrader
12-Step Recovered Alkie

I had big problems with "unmanageable" myself. Alcoholic......well, I'd probably give you that one......but admit (or even believe) my life was unmanageable...... sorry...... it's totally manageable.

For me, what I helped was looking at how "well" I was managing it. I thought of it in terms of a sports team. Being from Detroit, it was all to easy to correlate my record as the manager of my life with the record of the Lions and their managers. Were their managers nice guys? sure. they weren't "bad" people. When it came to managing a team though, they just weren't on point. Maybe it wasn't even their fault.....but if the team's bad - blame goes to the manager.

If my life up to my early sobriety was a sports team..... the Lions would be a good fit for sure. The '03 Tigers might have been a better fit. Nice guys all around, plenty of potential, just couldn't get it together all that often. Their manager was a Detroit baseball legend (kinda). Everyone loved the guy......but he had to go.

That was me. I was "managing" sure enough.....but the record wasn't good. It was definitely time for new blood. Firing yourself isn't easy but it's necessary for alcoholics.