View Single Post
Old 07-15-2010, 05:03 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
DayTrader
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Sometimes, I take "your best thinking put you here" as a positive thing - as if it's saying: your thinking (ability to be in denial and/or delusion) is soooo good you can out-fox yourself into doing dumb things. (heh - yes....I see how I can also stroke my delicate ego by saying that...lol). It's a reminder to me to try to be awake to the fact that my false-ego IS able to trick me sometimes. In other words, my false-ego can be smarter than I am on occasion.

I also use "your best thinking got you here" as a negative tool to put my ego back in check. I tend not to "like" it as well when I hear it or say it to myself in this manner but it's true. I wasn't completely asleep all those years....and I sure as heck am here (thankfully ).

Another option is to consider that there were plenty of times I drank, did dumb things, did mean things, did things I'd regret for years......and I "knew" better than to do them.....but I did them anyway. So, in SPITE of my knowing not to do things....or TO do other things....I often chose the wrong path with my actions. This one is similar to what Keith said. "My thinking," as great as it may be, is nowhere near as impressive as I sometimes like to think it is......and it's NOWHERE near as important as the actions I TAKE.