Old 05-25-2010, 08:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
kelsh

Exclamation Writing a letter to a judge for a sponsee....

In my experience as a Mental Health Counselor I worked with clients that had a mental illness & alcohol problems in which some were involved with the law enforcement.

We had a two year deferred sentencing program connected with the court that included attending AA, Alcohol Counseling, & either an in- or out- patient alcohol treatment program. There also was a School-type group for all drug/alcohol arrests. If they failed to follow through with their treatment plan the deferred was revoked & they either were sentenced to jail or home monitor.

My personal experience didn't involve a DUI or law inforcement...I went to ask for help & got sober & help for my depression at mental health where I did go to work after I finished my BA Degree in Psychology.

But since it hadn't been 5 years since being in an alcohol treatment program or an Emotional Health Locked Unit....I had to go through a lot of requirements from the State Department of Health to be a Licensed Counselor.

I had to have the alcohol tx center write a letter explaining my progress & if I completed the program.

I had to have the Psychiatrist that dx my Depression/Anxiety write a letter to explain my in-patient tx & if I completed it sucessfully.

Then my doctor had to write a letter every three months to explain my follow-up care & if I was following through with it.

My Alcohol Sponsor had to write a note every three months confirming I was still attending three AA Meetings a week.

Then I had to write a review each month of my progress, my goals, & how many AA Meetings I attended that month.

I had no reminders other than what I kept on my calendar but was never late with any of the needed requirements.

This is what was required of me with a four year college degree & I did not like it at first but I liked my job & felt my personal experience, strengths, & hope for a future without alcohol was worth it all. Today I have 21 years of sobriety & am retired from my job that made me feel like I could do something to help others find their way.

Several times I went to court with a client & this particular judge did take letters in consideration for the person before the court. This was a long time ago & now we have drug/alcohol courts here & I believe it is somewhat similar to the deferred program.

Just knowing someone three or four weeks is questionable other than what has been observed by the sponsor....remember alcohol is cunning & baffling & so can the sponsee be a con artist with a sincere desire to quit drinking but that is the easy part. Staying quit and not driving drunk is another story...5 times in all is something that should never have happened.

kelsh