Old 05-25-2010, 05:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
DayTrader
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Writing a letter to a judge for a sponsee

One of my new guys is going in for sentencing for DUI #5 (in his lifetime). In Michigan, anything over #3 is a felony and can get you up to 5 years in prison. Odds are, he'll do some time....and it probably won't just be 30, 60, or 90 days.

I've only been hooked up with him for about three weeks and, given that he's trying to get his house, wife, family, finances, etc in order.......and given that he's not REALLY completely bought into the program yet, I'm not really sure what to say in this letter. I wish he was "all-in" but he just isn't yet. Maybe with more time......who knows though.

So anyway, I'm looking for some suggestions (specific ones would be great ) on what to say. I don't think it's in his best interest to say "I'm not sure about this one" but I also don't want to overstate the truth and thereby give him "permission" to only work part of the deal here.

Anyway, some guidance would be cool. I'm headed to a 8:30 meeting now but I have to get this thing written tonight. I'll bb later to check this thread.

I'm really jammed for time right now because my ride will be here any minute but, when I get back home and get some more of it done, maybe I'll post it up here.

thx in advance.... Mike