View Single Post
Old 04-28-2010, 02:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Doneiam

6 days now... am I out of the woods?

My last drink was last Thursday. It been rough and hope it gets better.

I will start with a bit of background. Started drinking at 14 and moved to daily at 19 for the next 10 years. Heavy drinking and all the time. I quit cold turkey when I was 29. I didn't drink for roughly 3 to 4 years after that (can't remember actually). I started back up again with a vengeance 3 years ago. The last year I have been drinking a good 12 to 18 beers daily. I was 189 lbs when I started this latest binge and now 236 lbs.

I have finally had enough. I drank one beer last Thursday and went to a meeting on Friday. It's been 6 days since my last drink.

My blood pressure is alot higher then normal now. It's at 172 / 103. I called my Doctor and he put me on Atenolol to take once daily and he stated it's from alcohol withdrawals. I think it's to lower my blood pressure. I have to take it for 2 weeks then come in the office to be seen.

Is this normal for my blood pressure to go up and stay up 6 days after my last drink? Is that a really high number to be worried about? I don't know much about Blood Pressure numbers to be honest.

I just hope the worst of the physical is over and done with and nothing else goes wrong. I figured I should have hit the peak of withdrawals with almost a week sober.

I go to another meeting on Saturday. This time I am done for good. I hope the physical damage to my body isn't too severe. I will know that soon enough once they start all the tests.