Old 04-20-2010, 09:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Thera

Welcome, it's great to see you posting...I know it seems impossible right now. I am in my 5th month clean from an awful 7 year codeine addiction and I can tell you right now that it DOES get better. In my opinion, once you get through that first week no physical symptom will be as bad it is right now, another few weeks before you start feeling normal.

Saying that, I would highly recommend that you speak to your Doctor and tell him what you are doing. If you have a legitimate medical problem that you are being treated for it is best to be completely up front and honest with your medical team , they might have a way to help you and not hurt your condition.

I would also say that you should check out some NA meetings in your area, I could not have stayed clean without it honestly. Like I said, you may not suffer any worsening physical w/ds but NA helps you with the mental adjustment of a life without drugs. Try one meeting, be honest, and see how it works for you.

Last, I will say that I truly believe using one drug to quit another drug is NEVER a good idea. We addicts will latch onto the next "crutch" as a way to deal with things in our lives, please don't trade one addiction for another. That's why recovery is SO damn hard...it's a long road but completely worth it.

Please come clean to your doctor, your situation isn't so uncommon : ) Please keep posting and letting us know how you're doing.