View Single Post
Old 04-19-2010, 01:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
theuncertainty

Does the lying ever stop?

I've recently joined SR and have been reading through posts, but this is the first time I've posted.

I've been with my AH for a total of 16 years. 2 years ago, though, I left taking our amazing DS with me when he refused to acknowledge that he needed help with his drinking and we needed help with our marriage. 9 months ago he moved in with 'a friend' he was 'renting a room from' and her 2 boys. He told her we're divorced; he told me she's dating some one else. I knew he was lying, I called him on it and cut contact back to meeting him at a friend's house to drop off or pick up DS.

I've been attending Al-Anon and getting counselling - I've still got a lot of work to do.

Just over a month ago he had an episode at work that ended up helping him realize he needed help and went into a 28-day program. While working through the 28-day program he called a couple times and indicated that we need to talk: he now knows how much he's hurt me and DS, wants to make up for the years, etc.

He told me he gets back early tomorrow morning. I found out via her post on FB that he actually gets back today - in about an hour...

He's been dry now for over a month, sounded so much clearer than he had in years, and yet he's still lying. I know recovery takes years, the first 6 months to 1 year are the most difficult with the greatest chance for relapse, but does the lying ever stop??

I'd attributed his lying to the alcoholism, but I'm beginning to think I was wrong. That belief is just another facet of my naivety and symptom of how I've allowed his alcoholism to affect me?