View Single Post
Old 04-13-2010, 10:37 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Shellslove
Friend

Glad to hear you are feeling better, Dave! Though it seems like the physical w/d might be the most 'painful,' as addicts the mental pull of addiction can really get to us...esp. in times of 'boredom.' Do you have a recovery plan in place? Have you decided to talk to a dr about your issue with opiate addiction? I know I was scared of the 'red flag' too, but like others here have said - no good dr is going to keep you in pain. Pain management is monitored closely for an addict, and alternatives to opiates are used when appropriate. There will likely come a time in your life when opiates are necessary, short-term (surgery, etc.) and as long as you work closely with the doctor, you shouldn't have a problem. I'd try not to think too far into the future about this though. What can you do to help yourself, today?

Do we as addicts have a stigma attached to 'us'? Sure. But you gotta do what you gotta do to keep yourself healthy and safe, and 'telling on youself' to any possible (legal) supplier of opiates is a good call. Have you tried any AA/NA meetings or a non-secular group like Life Ring?

Thanks for the 'vision board' suggestion. This sounds like an interesting idea and I think I will make one of my own Good luck to you! Keep posting on your progress....