View Single Post
Old 02-15-2010, 08:58 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
robertl

This is not an AA Approved answer, but I did not believe when I came in, and about 3 years in, I still do not believe. I've found that most of the alcoholics who have god issues are usually the types whose issues were (and yes, I know I'm oversimplifying) "I didn't like having to wear a tie on Sunday, I don't like the bible says not to be gay, I hated the nuns at Catholic School" then they come up with a god of their own understanding and become spiritual not religious.

I've always found the spiritual, not religious stuff, a bit hokey. But I've come to accept that if thisworks for them, and I fully support it, and it's not my business.

In contrast, I was (and remain) very conservative. I went, and continue to go church out of tradition, and enjoyed the social aspect. I used to try to believe because I felt I was supposed to as a conservative Southerner, but I never did. Now I just accept what I enjoy out of Church.

Similarly when I began AA, I really tried to believe, and did all the praying and steps hoping to have a spiritual experience, because that's what is supposed to happen, but it never did.

I've since learned to use what I believe in and is helpful for me from AA, and not expect it to conform to all my beliefs and that's worked well for me.

The fact of calling a "group of drunks" or a light bulb as a higher power really makes no sense to me if you're supposed to have some personal relationship with God who you are asking to intervene in your life.

Instead, I recommend that newcomers with God issues simply go to

1) go to as many meetings as they can
2) do the actions in the steps regardless of what they believe. A lot of people manage to have their "spiritual experience" just by doing the steps, and if that happens, great. If it doesn't, don't obsess over it.
3) Focus on the positive aspects on AA that you agree with and benefit from, as oppose to using the parts you don't like as an excuse to completely ignore the program.