View Single Post
Old 02-10-2010, 08:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Cloudbusted

Hi,

I am in the same spot you are. I go to AA meetings with an open mind and am just getting into the third chapter of the big book. I absolutly do not believe in god. AA is a great thing for me at the same time. I say the serinity pray, not because I believe, but because there is great wisdom in it. Sitting and listening to other people's stories, and understanding that I am not alone has been great for me. And to see people that have come out the other end of alcoholism is an inspiration and a relief. The first time I had a trigger to drink I used my contact list. I'm so happy to the person that talk to me. I basically just listened to him and one other tell me what thier struggles with booze was like. This was enough to let the feeling pass, and remind me of my motives to get my life back to together. It does not have to be all about god to be a successful program.

A trick that I use that gives me great insight. Replace the word god everytime you hear it in the program with the word truth. I think that even a believer would agree that they are basically the same thing.