Old 01-30-2010, 07:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Karen58KL

I want my son to stop drinking, what do i do?

My son is 21 years old. He lives at home with me and works full time at a car dealership, He has been drinking for about 2 years but not as heavily as the last 8 months. He gets very confrontational when I question his drinking, He starts drinking in his car on his way home from work everyday and between leaving work and when he gets home he's almost always intoxicated by then. He drinks on average a half a 5th of vodka within a few hours before he becomes so intoxicated he falls asleep or throws up. He does always go to work, He never misses days because of alcohol but he does ignore his responsibilities and he comes to work wreaking of alcohol. When he has days off he starts drinking very early in the day, Usually before 11am and stays highly intoxicated all day, even if he has something important to do. I don't understand what i did wrong as a Mother!! His father and I are divorced but we are friends, we speak and we both have always done our very best to take care of Brandon. He is so smart and so gifted I don't understand why he does this. As soon as he gets home he stumbles into his room and sits there for hours on end drinking and smoking. I cannot throw him out because he's my son, I could never do that, You who are mothers and fathers can understand why. His father ignores it and just plays it off as "its just his age"