View Single Post
Old 01-29-2010, 02:29 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
tjp613

I'm sorry that this response is going to be curt, but I'm walking out the door....

I work on the hotline at my city's women's shelter so I know a little about abuse, and yes, you are the victim of emtional and physical abuse...and I am very sorry.

I also was in a relationship much like you are describing, so I have experience on that level too.

I was married to him for 16 years and the abuse never got better, only worse. After we divorced he emotionally abused the kids since I wasn't around. 90% of the time he was the sweetest, most caring father, hard-working and responsible. The other 10% he was a monster. He is still in denial that he's an alcoholic. He's lost both his children now, too.

But what I want to say is this: Abuse is not a result of his drinking. The two problems are independent of each other. If he were to quit drinking tomorrow, he would continue to emotionally abuse you unless he were to get treatment for that as well. So, don't delude yourself waiting for the day that he gets sober and thinking that will make everything all better. It won't.

I highly suggest that you read: Why Does He Do That?: Inside the Minds of Angry and Controlling Men and seek the help of a domestic abuse hotline.

(((Hugs)))