View Single Post
Old 06-15-2004, 12:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
waywardsister
Goddess in the making

How long does it take to get addicted?

My boyfriend uses oxycontin (sp?), percodan, cocaine and has mentioned crystal meth. He doesn't use every day (although he was using the percs and esctacy daily for awhile). I don't live with him anymore, and have no idea how often he uses or how much, but I would guess at least once a week he uses at least one of them above.

I am wondering how long it takes for an addiction to form to these drugs, or at least a tolerance. He was really heavy with E for a while, constantly snorting it and going on 3-4 day binges. He doesn't use it anymore - but is always using something. He did use the percs a lot before too, and experienced withdrawal symptoms when he cut down (or, more aptly, replaced them with E).

He went camping this weekend and mentioned that he might get meth to bring along with him (I do not go camping with him, for obvious reasons. Actually, I don't do much with him as I won't be around the drugs) He said that most ecstacy has meth in it anyway, so it's no big deal. I am thinking that meth use is the deal breaker for me - isn't that highly addictive? Can one become hooked on it after only one use?

Just the fact that he is open to using it at all (not to mention the other crap he uses) makes me wonder what on earth I am doing with him. I think I have been asleep for the past few years. He used to be dead against drugs. Now he has this huge abuse problem, and it's not getting any better (she finally admits this to herself, with a sigh)

Thanks everyone - this forum is a huge help.