View Single Post
Old 12-11-2009, 10:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
member31986

Functional Alcoholics??

Just wanted to hear about any functional alcoholics stories-sober or not. My AH is one, has been one for more than 25 years and his health has finally started to fail somewhat...sad to say I am not sure its bad enough yet for recovery for him as he believes he can do this on his own. He had a pharmaceutical sales job for 17 years, up until the company restructored about a year ago and was let go, has since started his own medical sales reping business whereby its commission only, no benefits, we pay-he was lucky enough to get approved,. The past year has been challenging, he's on his 2nd detox w/ meds this year (May 09 and now) from the doctor.-should have been admitted into rehab but its his choice...I am sure once this is out of his system, he will be back to work and to traveling and eventually drinking...it may be a few months but he'll go back to it again I am sure. He looks awful, overweight, diabetic, has had high blood pressure, you name it but he keeps going and as I said pretty much still functions up until this last episode whereby he allowed me to take him to the doctors-again! I am looking for full time employment for myself now. 2 kids d-15, s-19 in college.

I'd love to hear either your turning point if you have one or are still functioning like my AH is. Thanks.