View Single Post
Old 11-05-2009, 06:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
jimhere

The only things I don't have control over are the people, institutions, or principles with whom I am angry. That is why I have a resentment, I have no control.

I can't wish away a resentment. In fact the more I think about it, the worse it gets, because a resentment is an obsession that feeds on itself. That is why prayer and action are important.

The Big Book says something to the effect that so longs as I permit this stuff (resentment) to go on do I squander the hours that I could have been putting to better use. So in effect it is saying that I permit this stuff to go on and by dwelling in and harboring resentment, I am deliberately wasting the time I have been given on this planet. That implies that I do have some control here. I am the one that permits this stuff to go on and I am the one who decides that I can't do that anymore and that it is time to take positive action and get rid of this crap.

I don't believe that it matters what your conception of God is here. In fact my conception is more pantheistic than not, although I don't attempt to define it.
Jim