View Single Post
Old 09-16-2009, 08:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
meditation

There's not a strong NA in my area so many addicts go to AA. I know I know all about how that is and isn't great sigh.
The problem is many alcoholics are also drug addicts. So the other evening at a meeting many alcoholics were sharing on cravings and whatnot that were introduced from a various and sundry source: dr prescribed meds for ADD, Red Bull energy drinks, and etc types of shares for example.

Well a hardcore old timer had enough and was outraged. Maybe rightly so. Maybe not. He said this was an AA meeting. But the shares were about how the meds made the alcoholics want to drink or relapse.

It wasn't just drug addicts that were lost and needed a meeting and hey here's AA so let's go in today, it was alcoholics that were having issues too.

So the rest of the meeting was what maybe considered cross talk. It was people directing anger at the old timer telling him everyone was welcome, telling him the primary purpose was a desire to stop drinking.

I dunno but it seemed like one he was angry and made a statement, that made all the previous shares about drugs and etoh cravings seem like a bad thing and possibly made those folks feel unwelcome. I think maybe he cross talked to them. Not sure on this. But the rest of the shares were cross talk to him about why the shares were valid. The end result we got zero ESH, we lost about 15 members including oldtimer that got up and walked out. So in this instance it seemed a complete bomb of a meeting and made me want to run for an NA meeting.

I think in the case of a newcomer that helping him on that first meeting is more important than rule observation and IF he comes back gently let him know what is and isn't considered cross talk. But I still am not really sure what the heck cross talk is either. I thought it might be chitchat. But then when someone comes in crying about a specific problem and wants help how to help without addressing that person???? I get so confused about how to really help someone because it seems the rules are so prohibitive.
I think shaming someone by telling addressing them and making them feel foolish or bad is what I would consider crosstalk .

I do best in casual group sharing like group therapy but that is GROUP RX not AA. I try to listen and share my ESH and not give advice but many people do give advice in the meetings.

edited to to read better