Thread: Big Book Quote
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2009, 02:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
gravity
where the light is

Which means it will not get you sober or keep you sober,but it helps you to see where you are today and be grateful to God you do not have to live that old way any longer.Sort of a reality check and inspirational tool.
My drinking history and in particular the memories of those last few benders really helps keep my step 1 current. Each time planning to have a few social drinks, each time ending up blacked out/out of control for three days. And of course, each time swearing that I would never drink again.

These memories also help keep me honest. When I am getting cocky or think that I have alcoholism beat, going back to where I came from helps bring me back earth.

Conversely when I am down on myself and feel that I am not making any progress, I can look back at my old life and see the change.

As time passes, those memories aren't as painful as they used to be but they remain important. "We will not regret the past nor wish to shut the door on it" comes to mind.

We must keep the painful memories of our last drunk fresh in our minds or we will drink again
I'm not a big fan of fear-based recovery. For me, seeking reality and being honest with myself are much more effective.

And quite honestly, I would not be sober today without the fellowship & the 12 steps. On their own, those memories of my "suffering and humiliation" are worthless, perhaps even harmful (self-pity).

BB quotes from the 1st edition of the BB.