Old 08-04-2009, 06:58 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
winnie12

Originally Posted by tjp613 View Post
I just don't want you to get pregnant and ruin your future"
looks like the talks you have had with her have had an effect - good job Mom!!!! i'd rather find a condom then a pregnancy test anyday. i do think that realistically its hard for teenagers to talk to their mom about sex so the best we can do is give them information (which it sounds like you have) and help prepare them.

My son did tell me about 6 months after he first had sex - i wasnt surprised and all i really told him was that anytime he needed condoms to just put them in the grocery cart - no questions asked. we kinda talk about it - now its more just general advice on love moreso than sex. like when he went out with a girl that was so obsessed i could see her getting herself pregnant just to snag him - i didnt tell him to break it off but did "generically" explain to him how some girls will do that so be very careful to practice safe sex and dont just take her word if she says shes on birth control. i also told him how i heard on the news that 65% of teenage girls have had a std - he immediately asked if i could make him a doctors appt for a checkup. now when we go to the doc he talks freely about it in front of me - docs kinda do a double-take because their not used to a boy talking about sex infront of his mom - but he knows my concerns are not a judgment but just safety so it doesnt seem to bother him.

i think once your daughter and you do have that talk that you can probably get to the point that my son and i are when it comes to that. just dont ask a lot of details and keep it to safe sex and emotional protection.