View Single Post
Old 07-31-2009, 07:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
spittake
Zen Nihilist

Originally Posted by babylove View Post
Can anyone tell me if taking a normal prescribed dose of Adderall, has similar effects of taking drugs like cocaine/speed etc?
Yes, it does. That dose is equivalent to a very mild meth high, in my experience. It's a lot like a very prolonged caffeine buzz.

I used to self-medicate depression with Adderall. I am currently on Wellbutrin, which is similar in structure to a stimulant, and does have some mild stimulant effects. I have never done so well with an antidepressant as I am doing with this one. Though my Wellbutrin has stimulant effects, I am not tempted to take more than prescribed, even as these effects have been diminishing over time.

It is important to learn that there are drugs that help and drugs that harm. What has abuse potential for one person might be saving the life of another. Just because your medication has a discernible effect on you does not mean it is bad. And when that effect is helping you, that probably means it is good.

All drugs have side effects. We must always weigh the pros and cons. Talk to your doctor about your concerns, and make sure you completely understand him or her. That is what he or she gets paid for.