View Single Post
Old 07-27-2009, 02:32 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
laurie6781
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

I know the researchers and scientists haven't found the "X factor" in the genes yet, however, I do believe that there is something there, more so in some families than othes.

I did see something that helped me to believe that. One of my Sponsor's other sponsees that I became close to, who had a few years on me both age wise and sobriety wise, was an 'identical twin.' Both of which were given up at birth for adoption, to two different homes.

D was in her fifties when she found her sister, actually living only about 20 miles away from her. Turns out her sister was also an alcoholic, grew up in a similar type of home where drinking was only on special occasions maybe once or twice a year. When they started comparing their lives, both sisters started drinking about the same time, their drinking progressed about the same way, and they got sober within 2 days of each other same year. And now, they both have Alzheimer's.

I am inclined to believe that addiction can be partly hereditary. My own sister, who is younger than me by 11 years, saw what it did to me and chose not to drink at all. She married a fellow who also came from a long line of alcoholics, and their children are very aware of the possibilities of becoming addicted and are very watchful of themselves. One, who became a M.D. is not in 'private practice' but chose the 'research route' instead. Yes, he is one of those looking for the "X factor" in the genes.

Today, I find it interesting, however I am more concerned about Living Sober. I found recovery and that is where I want to stay, lol

Doesn't matter 'why' I am an alcoholic, just matters that I did find recovery and am having a life I never dreamed was possible.

J M H O

Love and hugs,