View Single Post
Old 07-17-2009, 09:05 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
joedris

The primary purpose of people in AA is to stay sober and help others achieve sobriety. We admit that we're not perfect - we seek progress rather than perfection. We stick to the 12 steps because we've found nothing better in the past 74 years, and AA is by far the most successful recovery program out there.

But is it a cult? Hardly. We have no religious beliefs or practices nor do we follow a charismatic leader. In fact we have no leader. Each AA group is autonomous for the most part. And AA will never demand rigid adherence to anything, preferrring to suggest rather than dictate.

There are those who feel that AA isn't for them for a variety of reasons, yet I find that most who make this statement have never really tried AA beyond sitting in the back of a meeting and forming unfounded opinions. They thus walk out with the opinion that "AA just isn't for me". Yet I've never heard any concrete reasons as to just why it isn't for them. Perhaps they feel that the program is too difficult, and that there's an easier, softer way. I wish such people the best of luck, and if they ever find a successful "easier, softer way" please let us know.