View Single Post
Old 07-17-2009, 08:18 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
warrens

I think Tmcor has something here. What is more a cult than that of addiction?

When sober, we have choices. Based upon our intellect. I don't feel threatened by anything. I have been to all sorts of AA meetings. Some are "doctrinal." So were Lenin, Stalin, and Hitler. They were GOOD.

So are the Evangelists of our time. Geezuz, so many have taken choice from so many...

I've seem friends die because they believed so strongly in "herbs." Whatever.

What sobriety means to me is a return to rationality. I am immune to that which I do not understand. I do know that AA has a foundation in pretty cutting edge science. It might be cloaked in "cult" by some, but I am stronger than that. I never question someone 20 years sober. While I may not "get it," if they are "sober today" because of AA, so be it.

I've studied literally hundreds of "ways to the truth." Psychology, epistemology, spirituality. I've found far more to admire than to criticize. I feel like a 1,000 bean salad.

So, the AA debate doesn't really interest me. I can side with anyone. What I cannot side with is being an addict. If i have control of everything else, and I am philosophically "pure," and am still active in my addiction, just what have I proved? And to whom?

warren