View Single Post
Old 07-16-2009, 01:30 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
tyler
Not all better, getting better

The mental hospital might be a good route for your to go. You probably fall under the classification of Dual Disorders, meaning substance abuse and mental health issues. There are many programs that are starting to take this classification more seriously. I'm sure you understand you are not going to be able to just order your doctors to give you whatever meds you want, but they will help you and if nothing else it will give you the opporunity to "dry out" in a safe environment.

I am a two time "rehab loser", not the rehab's fault, both were excellent programs. The problem was with me, I would not follow their suggestions and the problem with substance abuse is it is not something a doctor can "fix" like heart disease or something. If you are unwilling to follow their suggestions you probably will be doomed to the alcoholic death you seem so resigned to.

I do not consider myself to be a "member" of any 12-step recovery group, or any particular recover group in general, for that matter. I have found things in 12-step recovery that, if I can take an honest look at myself and my behaviors, I do find to be helpful. The same can be said for more CBT based programs like SMART or Lifering. The bottom line is you have to do the heavy lifting. The doctors can help you through detox, but if they give you meds when you get out and you go back to drinking there is not much they can do for you.

I've wondered for years why those damm doctors and theripists can't just do their jobs and fix me!! The fact is all they can do is help me fix me.

Given the increasingly desperate tone of your posts, I think checking into a mental hospital would be an excellent idea. Try to be open to their ideas though. Your way is obviously not working very well, or you would not be posting here, so be open to some other ideas. AA is not the only way, but given it is a "free" program, it is often one of the few face to face support programs available to people without insurance. I am sending you a PM with details of some SMART Recovery meetings in the Chicago area. If you are not familiar with the program here is their website. SMART RecoveryŽ Help with Alcohol, Drug, and Other Addictions It is a CBT based program, but you still have to do the "work" to recover. There is no magic pill to take. Best of luck to you. Take care.