View Single Post
Old 07-13-2009, 11:14 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
kj3880

I only have 15 months clean, but I have issues with court slips too. There are some court slippers (in my area, it's the vast minority) that are serious about recovery, but I'm still not into court slips.

I have always said that it goes against our traditions. You are supposed to want to stop using to be a member. Some court slippers don't want to get clean. They want to keep out of jail. If there is a room full of people just trying to stay out of jail instead of trying to support each other with experience, strength and hope to stay clean a day at a time, then it becomes something different from the NA that I want to be a part of.

Luckily, in my area, most people are in the rooms to at least try to get clean.

Here's one idea, for what it's worth: let them get the slip signed at the door signifying that they came to the meeting. Then they have what some of them came for. After they get the signature, we could invite them in, lovingly and without any pressure. If they wanted to, they could then come to a meeting of their own free will, as the court slip has already been signed. I don't want anyone there that isn't at least mildly curious to find out about getting clean.

I just don't think we can deal healthily with the issues presented by people who are there by force. I dealt with it at work for the first time last week. A down-and-out addict was brought in (I work in the court systems) and saw me in the hallway. She shouted out "Hey! I know you from NA! How's it going? Remember me? I'm still using. Hah! That Sh!t didn't work for me! I got violated (she meant parole) on a dirty urine and I'm back inside." I did remember her, so I approached quietly and reminded her "It's an anonymous program, and it works for me. If you want to try it again, give me a call and we'll talk, but please don't shout about it in here. I need my job." I then handed her my number quietly. She was good enough to stop talking about it when I asked her, but some people in the court system are bitter and might intentionally put me as a court system rep. out there, given the chance.

Fear of being exposed as an addict on the job kept me from coming in for some months. I was convinced when I called the hotline in desperation that it is anonymous, and that other addicts are in the same situation as I am, and that we therefore are respectful of each other's anonymity in the community. I wasn't aware when I came in that there would be a lot of people there on court slips. And as I've said, in my area, they are the minority. It would be hard for me to be in a meeting where most people are there against their will. Just my opinion, for what it's worth. I'm all for any addict with a desire, court slip or no, but I have trouble with those who don't want to be there.

Maybe there is some way we can deal with court slips better. Maybe some type of service commitment where a court slip person could be partnered with a volunteer that would go to probation/court with her and tell the judge or parole agent they are attending faithfully. Maybe this special H and I person would explain traditions and anonymity to the person on slips. Kind of like a temp. sponsor with court service. I don't know. I'm just trying to think of ways we can help the addict on court slips without changing the core of NA. Maybe they could start a court-ordered 12-step program separate for them. I guess that would be hard, because I know most people with time clean wouldn't attend. I wouldn't be able to go to that type thing until I retire.

Love,
KJ